Évora, Alentejo»Moinho do Álamo
- Bedrooms: 6
- Bathrooms: 9
- Sleeps: 16
Experience the captivating charm of Portugal's country side in Moinho do Alamo. This spacious country house sits on 12 hectares of working farm in the heart of Alentejo. Nearby Montemor-o-Novo has a well-preserved old quarter with unique chapels, a castle, and small shops including a food market. Some of Portugal's best west coast beaches are a short driving distance away.
The house is reconstructed from the ruins of a 19th century water-mill, and has many of the original features, including an all-stone living room built on top of the river channel. The property is decorated in classical Portuguese style, with many antiques and paintings, and is very well-equipped.
The grounds are particularly charming when floodlit in the evenings with the romantic island folly (in the middle of the river) providing extra chill-out areas "Out of Africa" style, with hammocks, open-air bar with draft beer, barbecue, kitchen and bathroom.
Activities available include horseback riding, bike riding and river boating. Especially for children, there are a "Wendy" house and a tree house in the garden, a small horse carriage and many toys.
Moinho do Alamo is perfect for small or large celebrations. At Moinho do Alamo, they have specialized in organizing weddings and other parties for 23 years!
Flexible change-over days. Minimum rental of 1 week in July & August, 3 nights pro-rated all other periods.
- Main entrance level: hall, cloakroom & kitchenette, drawing room with large fireplace, & terrace with views of the surrounding countryside. Ground floor: Living room with fireplace; dining room with large original fireplace seating up to 24, opening onto patio with river view, with covered & uncovered dining & lounging areas. Large traditional, very well-equipped kitchen with larder. Rear terrace with built-in spit barbecue. Two twin bedrooms each with bath en suite, sitting room. First floor: small sitting room with fireplace, one double bedroom with bath en suite and children's bedroom attached, one twin bedroom and two double bedrooms with bath en suite all opening onto shared covered terrace with hammocks and garden. Master bedroom with king-size bed, sitting area, fireplace and AC, traditional tiled bathroom with Jacuzzi and shower, plus large private balcony with hammocks and magnificent views of the river.
- Poolhouse with cooking facilities & built-in barbecue
- Heated swimming pool
- Large garden
- Spacious Patios with river views ideal for al fresco dining
- Other outdoor eating & sitting areas
- Tree House (In Garden)
- English-speaking manager
- Welcome Portuguese tapas & wine
- Basic hamper - water, wine, fruit cheese, milk, coffee, tea, bread, olives, and more
- Groundskeeping/pool service
- Daily continental breakfast
- On request:
- Full service cooking
- Second maid
- Sunday staff
- Catering/Party organizing
- On site:
- Horseback riding
- Swimming pool
- Boating on the lake
- Explore whitewashed villages of the Alentejo; medieval castle at Arraiolos known for hand-embroidered carpets, royal palace at Vila Viçosa, dating back to 1501.
- Montemor-o-Novo: Restaurants, Shops, Tennis Courts. 5 minutes' drive
- Évora, an UNESCO World Heritage site, rich in history & cultre - churches, convents, palaces, Roman temples, summer concerts
- Comporta: Alentejo Coast and Beaches. 45 minutes' drive
- Badajoz: 60 minutes' drive
- Lisbon Airport: 100 km
- Closest train station 20 km
- Various other accommodations are available for your other guests in the vicinity.
- 60% deposit due 8 days before